The 1st chapter of the translated novel got me interested and so I began reading the raws of this novel. I believe I am at around 380 or so of this novel. This is my very first review and I feel compelled to give this review after reading some of the not so nice reviews out there.
This has gender bender and harem in it. But the MC is still a male through and through although he looks pretty. He still gets lots of chicks so yea.
This story is sufficiently compelling. The MC is cool and badass enough. The decisions he makes are pretty logically given his background of what he had suffered or experienced during his "previous life".
The fights are cool and you do see some character development as he pretty much retains his cold and ruthless nature but slowly changes for the better. His summons are quite funny... at least some of them.
This story has alot of spoof, parody or elements we or at least most of us know about. Many of the summons, and even skills come from other popular stories, anime, manga out there so there will be some sense of familiarity.
Oh there is quite a fair amount of s*x or erotic scenes. =)
5/5 and a good read. The moment I started reading it, I couldn't stop. Given that I have read almost every popular novel out there, I would say this is a pretty good one. Do give it a try.
--- First Review [up to c550] ---
I just had to say a word in fairness because of the spate of bad reviews. It is really not a terribad story. I am around 1/4 through the story. The translation is up to around 250. I read the raws til about 550. And the fact that I even bothered to read the raws would, at least to me, meant that the story is sufficiently compelling enough for me to continue.
Let's talk about the pros of the story. The transported genre is nothing new but the idea of an ancient cultivator transporting to the modern world is kind of fresh. Usually it is the other way round. On top of that he was also no one special before he got transported. The only reason why he is strong is because he knows the proper immortal training method unlike those in the modern world. Thats about it.
I also of kind the fact that the MC is one who is sort of strong, dont give a sh*t, and of the harem genre. (I guess it should be a harem genre). Whether it is the monogamy kind of relationship or the harem type, I don't have special aversion to any. I just find it odd that many readers have a natural tendency to dislike such an MC, I am not sure why. I mean, if someone is really as kick ass as the MC, I am sure he would get alot of female attention.
Cons of the story. There is probably some spoiler here so read at your own risk.
1) Enemies are kind of retarded. Really. Every single antagonist male out there is a horny idiot who thinks with their d*ck. They will always get into the trouble because of trying to sleep or rape or force or kidnap MC's female sister, friend, lover, gf, etc. You get the point. And there are always retards out there. MC is already an overbearing piece of sh*t who goes around killing everyone and in the modern day and age, you still have idiots who try and piss him off in the most retarded way.
So basically every guy who isnt a cultivator goes like this. Is interested in some female close to the MC. Tries to touch said female. Or is cocky to MC. Got wrecked by MC. Stupidly calls backup. Threatens to kill MC and his family and friends. Gets the entire clan wiped out. And this repeats itself.
The 2nd type of antagonist are the stupid f**ks who are greedy and keep underestimating the MC. I am not sure why would anyone want to bet their lives against such a stupid thing of pissing him off. I really hope the enemies get less one dimensional and grow some brains. I mean... I dont need them to be smart, I just need them to have some common sense.
2) The MC is kind of stupidly arrogant. He keeps thinking the world is based on whoever's fist is the biggest. He goes around wiping everyone but every once in a while he will get his loved ones into trouble in which he will sort of happily resolve in the end. Kind of like plot armour. Not only the enemy underestimate him, he underestimates the enemies as well and keeps getting into situations he almost died.
That is my two biggest gripe about the story so far. All in all, no surprises. Not much plot twist. A very typical kind of... I am strong so I go around destroying you if I dont like you. Throw in pretty girls and harem. It is not a terrible read really but not an outstanding one.
--- 2nd Review [Completed] ---
The funny thing is after all my complaints about the story, all the issues described above were minimized or heavily reduced after that. The MC realizes that you do not simply go around killing everyone because you would inevitably get your loved ones in trouble. He also (after a while) realizes that you do not simply go around killing everyone. In that sense, there is a limited sort of progression.
Also after he reaches cultivation realm, the "every male is a horny ass" problem seems to be magically solved. Probably because his wives were not with him at that time. Probably also because female cultivators are generally all pretty good looking so the disparity isnt that great so we dont get the braindead idiots from the first 500 or so chapters.
After a while, the story becomes kind of a typical Xianxia story although the first 1/4 of the story doesnt seem like it. Like every Xianxia story, he will go through powerups via either some godly treasure in the form of some skills or some items or maybe himself.
There is Romance, and Harem. Even though it is a Harem, the MC truly loves and likes those females. Actually in fact, he missed and passed up on other good girls who liked him because he wanted to stay faithful but for one reason or another found himself with additional wives due to some, I would say, exceptional circumstances.
The ending of the story seemed rushed. But in all honesty, most of the novels had kind of crap endings. The author tried to plug gaps every now and then. All in all, it is kind of an interesting read.
Most of the light novels out there are not fully translated yet. Most of the time the reviewers can only give reviews up to the most recent translation. Heavenly Jewel Change [HJC] on the other hand was compelling enough for me to put up the Chinese raws to try and continue reading where the translations stopped. On top of that, I actually finished the story. That says alot.
I am not going to go into the story. I mean it is a Xianxia type of story so what do you really expect right? I finished the story about maybe a month or two ago. As far as I recall, the story is basically one of those MCs with a OP innate ability and went on to get more and more OP. It has comedy and harem. I like to read light hearted stuff. I really dont mind a funny or goofy MC. Being a bit of a harem-ish type of story fits my taste as well. I could never figure out why would anyone hate it. I mean, monogamy relationship is all well and good but the strong gets all the girls in the real life. This happens in the animal kingdom and even ancient kings. So for the story to have those settings seemed perfectly acceptable to me.
The story don't really have any need for a ramp up time. It is quite easy to hook you and you will just get stringed along with the story. Enemies are not mindless. The story pacing is slightly better than douluo dalu. I really have a problem with stories in the range of say 2000 chapters. For me, the story length was about just right.
You can always just give it a try and if you dont like it, then drop it. It was quite an enjoyable read for me.
1) "MC is not in control of the situation". This comment is correct. This novel is not one of those where the MC has everything and everyone dancing on the palm of his hand whilst he goes around destroying and owning everyone methodically. In fact, novels with those said storylines are the norm rather than the exception. SR has a rather refreshing take in which anything that can go wrong, will go wrong and starts blowing up left right center. Expect the unexpected. Expect to get betrayed. Expect weird motivations from someone who you thought was the villian but turned out to be not so bad after all.
I personally finds this more enjoyable as a read since it is more realistic than the cliche of MC is good, everyone else is a retard and bad. The feeling of the MC getting swept up in the grand scheme of things and having to struggle really hard to get through makes it a really good story. It is kind of satisfying as well.
2) "No satisfaction from killing his enemies since he is not the one doing it." This comment is also correct. Similar to my comment for (1), I personally find it odd that in other stories, the villian will just send someone borderline stronger than the MC and the MC will either powerup due to rare skill, treasure, etc and managed to defeat the villian in a satisfying way. MC in SR will not be able to do that, at least for the first 600 odd chapters. He will still kill his enemies through his machinations of various external strengths, allies, etc. To me, this is a plus point and not a minus one.
3) "The MC continues to act retarded at the start and the excuse given is lacklustre". This I do not agree.
MC's motivation is simple. He wants to just train in peace until age 17 before he GTFO. He wants nothing to do with the Ling family. However, he still feels slightly obligated. One reviewer took issue with that and said there is no need for the MC to feel so since he don't owe the Ling family anything. Although that is correct, but MC feels morally obligated as a human being. Part of his struggles deal with him as a person. His sealed memories contain personalities which made him dark, calculative, crazy, selfish, etc. His personality after losing his memories (post 10 yo) is one which is kind and gentle. The conflict in his personality can be seen throughout the entire story. I think the author has dealt with it in a good and compelling manner.
MC's stand is simply this. Even though I don't really like them and don't owe them anything, I feel kind of odd if I do nothing and see them getting slaughtered. Part of it was also because of how the Elder Ling Sister was so nice to him.
4) "Despite the same author, this MC is nothing like the dark, gory, anti-hero MC like in the other novels". This comment is partially true and partially false.
Before 10, that was exactly what the MC was like. After 10, his personality was one of kind and gentleness, kind of weak. This is dealt with more than once after the beginning of the story. As stated in (3), that is the ongoing tension with his past mysterious identity and the current him.
5) "Aside from the main female lead, pretty much everyone else is a bitch and egoistic tsundere who are just too proudy of their looks." Very interesting comment I would. And it is not entirely false.
The first girl he met on the snow mountain was quite nice. Although she would probably be relegated as a side character.
The Tang girl she met at the artificer guild is kind of like that. Although she is just a spoilt brat who is proud because of her artificing skills more so than her looks.
That Xie girl is simply just cold... and probably emotionless. She is not really proud of her looks anyway. She also has her own issues.
That Song girl really falls under the tsundere category. But that is only for the initial bit. After a while, the interaction between the two of them is quite cute I would think.
The Xue girl is quite a decent girl from the start.
So all in all, you have some nice girls... although most of them are the "arrogant, narcissistic, egoistic bitch", there is a decent spread and spectrum of girls. MC dont even give a sh*t most of the time anyway.
5/5. Best story ever. Not your usual "I kill your whole family" Chinese web novel. You can read the synopsis from the other reviews. I have to say that to appreciate this story fully you may need to know Chinese because a lot of the songs he writes, the people he refers to, the poems, advertisements, variety shows, etc etc are all from the actual world. Google and youtube helps a lot to hear that was what the song was about. I am not a Chinese from China and so I have problems struggling with some of the references but nothing google cant solve.